Wednesday 7 October 2015

Finally back in GP


So this is my first blog as an ST3. Hurray, I’m finally back in GP after successfully navigating my way through the hospital section of GP training. I’m struggling to believe that it’s now 9 weeks since I started back at my training practice as the time has just flown by.


I’ve really loved being back working in general practice so far. I can’t say I’ve missed night shift, getting sore feet from standing in endless ward rounds or working one in three weekends. But the main reason I’ve enjoyed it so much is I’m now getting to focus on developing my skills to become a GP, knowing that there will be no more breaks to go back to hospital and so everything that I learn today, tomorrow and the next day is going to help me for years to come. As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before the reason I love GP is the variety you get every day and even in the short time I’ve been back I’ve had many patients come in with very interesting and unusual presentations. Don’t get me wrong I’ve had my fair share of coughs, colds, UTIs and pill checks but every so often I’ll get a patient coming into see me with something so interesting that I’ll stop and think this is exactly why I do general practice. I love the mixture of day to day problems that I feel I’m developing skills in dealing with confidently interspersed with the unusual presentations that are more challenging and take a bit more time to come to appropriate management plan with the patient.

Of course another huge reason why I’ve enjoyed the last 9 weeks has been getting my social life back! Having the ability to plan my evenings and weekends and pick my holidays again has been great. Only problem is that I was so excited about this I’ve now made so many plans that I’m not sure how I’ll fit them all in! Highlights so far have included going to the weddings of two friends, weekends away to see friends and family and my personal favourite, getting to run more muddy obstacle races. I got into this increasingly popular sport last year and since then have really been bitten by the bug and just want to run one of these races every weekend! Luckily for me there are loads of really great races in Scotland and an excellent few in the North of Scotland so I never need to travel particularly far to race. Since being back in GP I’ve ran in races in North Berwick and Loch Ness and this weekend have my last race of this year just nearby in Dunecht. Knowing that I will always have the weekends free from work to pursue my hobbies is such a great benefit of GP and I have to say I've taken full advantage of this since being back!

I don’t think I could write a blog this month without mentioning the recent controversies surrounding the proposed junior doctor contract for our colleagues south of the border. I think I share the views of everyone in being very concerned about the impact this proposed contract could have on patient safety, GP recruitment and the future of the NHS. I’ve been so impressed by the campaigning that has erupted on social media from junior doctors and other NHS employees with the aim of protecting our patients and the NHS. As Scottish trainee I’m lucky that it doesn’t seem these plans are currently heading to Scotland but I have massive concerns for general practice and how this will impact the recruitment crisis. If anyone reading this is a potential GP trainee of the future I would just like to say that, regardless of what the politicians are saying in the background, I find general practice a wonderful speciality. It’s full of surprises, no two days are ever the same and despite what is often portrayed in the press I find that most patients still trust and respect their GP. It’s obviously not without its challenges but what career isn’t? And for me a challenge is often the best part of any job. If you are considering a career in GP please don’t let all of the recent problems put you off, give it a shot I don’t think you’ll regret it!

Until next time........

Gillian


No comments:

Post a Comment